Sunday, April 15, 2007

Megaphones make me murderous....

So it’s election time over here in Japan. Now, for a country that prides itself on its demure politeness and whose culture places emphasis on not upsetting others, election time here is surprisingly one of the most annoying things I have ever experienced. Each party, and there seem to be whole lot of them, sends its people throughout the country (even to normally sleepy towns) in large vans and trucks to promote themselves. These trucks are filled to the brim with enthusiastic party members who use megaphones to shout complete nonsense (basically a continual stream of `please`s and `thank you`s) out the windows in the loudest, and most annoying tone of voice ever. And it goes on all day, everyday. It kept me from sleeping-in this weekend, and somewhat ruined the lovely park day that would have otherwise been spent in peace and quiet. It forces me to keep turning up and turning down the volume on my TV at home as the trucks pass. It makes my head hurt and basically makes me want to get psychotically violent – it also makes me wonder where the megaphone factories are located so that I could perhaps go and commit arson on them.

Well election van ranting aside the perfect weekends continued. The highlight of this weekend was actually doing a naked wheelbarrow race around my apartment block thanks to the deadly drinking game `circle of death` on Friday night. I am sure my neighbours have a very low opinion of me already, seeing as how I once forgot to separate my plastic from my paper trash, and this probably did nothing to elevate me in their eyes.

On Saturday the boys, as well as Kara’s band `Siren`, performed at the Crazy Horse in Nag. It was a great show, but I have a pet peeve against the Crazy Horse since these events always get waaaay too packed for such a small place and I start to feel hot, sticky and somewhat vulnerable, especially if I am wearing a skirt. After the show we headed to a DJ event also put on by friends and thankfully that was less packed. I was in a strange mood though, and kept trying to engage people in serious, deep conversation while everyone else was clearly just trying to have a good time. I think it’s just my brain crying out for intellectual stimulation, perhaps I should buy some brain puzzles or something to make sure what brain cells I have left don’t atrophy.

Sunday was curry and park day. It was nice and relaxing but involved mild injury via zip line, which was totally worth it. I also watched `Blood Diamond` finally. I am really interested in Africa these days because I don’t know enough about the continent and it seems to be a very fascinating place. I also miss my friend Jen`s lectures on the subject, though she still sends me an article about conflicts and politics in Africa here and there. I feel strangely drawn to go to the place. Maybe because it is the cradle of humanity and all, or maybe just coz I haven’t been there yet. In any case, I am sure I will spend some time in Africa at some point in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home